LuminFire is an awesome place to work and play with consistently high ratings from members of our team.
LuminFire is looking for technical team lead, with an emphasis in web application development, who has demonstrated an interest in leading a team of experts. This role is responsible for helping define and manage the overall technical project operations and the successful delivery of client work. A team lead works with account managers, project managers, developers, the sales team, clients, and the executive team at LuminFire.
The main objective of this role is to drive excellent project outcomes that align with defined scope, timeline, and budget on concurrent projects. A team lead takes ownership in developing, innovating, and implementing LuminFire’s development processes in the delivery of client work.
Who You Are
You are a problem solver who is fascinated by discovering technical solutions that make businesses better. You are driven by the goal of delivering brilliant solutions that meet the clients needs, but you also care about the unique people involved in building the solution. Collaborating with a team of experts to develop solutions while balancing great communication and best business practices is second nature to you. You are fueled by working with others to implement brilliant ideas and strategies to get a great result, and are able to document the process so it is repeatable. You have an engineering mind that is also able to humanize technology for end-users. You are approachable, always learning, and excited about engineering great solutions. It is your mission to help “figure it out,” leading your team to produce amazing results. Your strong written and verbal communication skills serve to clarify information, building confidence and trust. You are able to see the big picture on projects and can balance client expectations with LuminFire’s business objectives for growth and profitability.
- 5+ years development experience with open source PHP platforms including developing themes, templates, and using plugins. WordPress and Laravel experience preferred.
- Familiarity with relational database design, programming concepts, and best practices such as code efficiency, code optimization, object-oriented programming, and commenting.
- Experience with development frameworks including ReactJS, Vue JS, or Node.js.
- Familiarity with Electron, React Native, and other desktop/mobile deployment platforms.
- Exposure to (or willingness to learn) the Genesis Theme Framework, SASS, Laravel, etc.
- Experience with source control systems such as Git, SVN, etc.
- Ability to interface with other developers and clients to quickly evaluate and resolve issues.
- Solid verbal and written communication with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with responsive design/development best practices.
- Familiarity with WooCommerce and Gravity Forms. Familiarity with WP-CLI is a bonus.
- Familiarity with accessible web design & development practices.
- Familiarity with cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, etc.
- Familiarity with the command line, VPS management, firewalls, DNS, etc.
- Disciplined self-starter able to be highly productive both working alone and in collaboration with a team.
- Ability to work within existing development standards as well as help define new processes, standards, and tools at the team level.
- Eager to identify, learn, and use new and changing technologies.
- Knowledge of web security best practices. Experience with HIPAA or high security (FERPA, banking, etc) preferred.
- Experience accurately estimating work, revising estimates and providing options to technical challenges.
- Manage the execution of project and task assignments with developers and the PM team.
- Serve as the technical lead on multiple active client accounts.
- Craft and maintain Statement of Work, project plans, schedules, and task breakdowns/modules to achieve defined scopes of work.
- Leverage internal tools, standards, and processes in all client work.
- Maintain highly collaborative relationships with PM, account management and sales team.
- Guide delivery of fixed price, retainer, and T&M projects within expected timelines and budgets.
- Demonstrate senior-level consultative value to help clients achieve defined business goals and outcomes.
- Effectively manage client expectations across active client work, seeking support from LuminFire’s executive team as necessary.
- Facilitate discovery engagements (onsite and remotely) to support the definition of project requirements into a SOW.
- Collaborate with PM’s to translate requirements into comprehensive project approaches / plans that align with established timelines and budgets and can be executed successfully by the developer.
- Collaborate with Accounts to develop a budget alongside the scope of work following discovery.
- Drive client satisfaction through repeated project delivery successes and strategic engagement.
- Maintain a predetermined billable utilization, typically between 20-30 hours / week (50-75%).
- Collaborate with web team members (typically Senior Engineers) in the delivery of client work and in alignment with established project metrics.
- Conduct regular one-on-ones with web developers with an emphasis on continuously improving project approaches and outcomes.
- Help peers and junior team members debug code or resolve technical problems.
- Test your work and review team members’ work and give constructive feedback on improvements.
- Estimate the work required to implement a module of a project.
- Meet clients in person or remotely to give regular updates and ensure the team is staying tied to their needs.
- Meet with operations leaders to discuss project goals, solution quality, schedule and progress, and the overall client relationship.
- Assist in the creation of design documents and key artifacts for the project.
- Provide regular verbal and written feedback to developers, celebrating successes and clearly defining any misalignments with expectations.
- Escalate thematic or recurring performance issues to CTO or COO for resolution.
- Work with PMs to ensure project delivery schedules / resourcing are adjusted accordingly.
- Contribute to the compilation and delivery of performance reviews for the web development team, in collaboration with COO.
- Contribute to Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs) for direct reports as necessary in collaboration with COO.
- Review weekly timesheet reports with developers and identify areas of concern such as billability, excessive weekly burn, and / or inaccurate / poor time entries.
- Monitor billable performance against client SOW.
- Collaborate with Accounts to prepare invoices for all assigned project work.
You’re a Good Fit if:
- You’re a humble, sincere, honest person who’s eager to earn the trust of clients and everyone you meet.
- Programming is your career as well as a hobby.
- You are a passionate learner, dedicated to honing your skills.
- You naturally find yourself teaching and helping others.
- You find business problems just as interesting as technical problems.
LuminFire is a consultancy. You’ll be empowered to interact directly with clients every day. You’ll need to become comfortable and effective at understanding and discussing business goals, budgets, and timelines with your clients.