At the recent Claris Engage 2020 virtual conference, LuminFire software engineer Shawn Krueger presented the following FileMaker development technical session. Developers will find it helpful.
JSON is the language of REST APIs, and has also quickly become the defacto standard for passing parameters within FileMaker. We no longer need cryptic custom functions and workarounds to pass complex structured data between our scripts. Whether we are creating the latest digital transformation with Claris Connect and numerous REST APIs, or just making our FileMaker Workplace Innovation Platform more efficient, creating properly structured JSON is a valuable skill to have. Though approachable, FileMaker’s JSON functions can get complex. Learn naming and looping techniques to tame the beast.
- Part 1: What is JSON, and Why Should I (a FileMaker Developer) Care?
- Part 2: FileMaker’s JSON Functions – Inspecting and Parsing JSON Data
- Part 3: FileMaker’s JSON Functions – Creating and Editing JSON Data
- Part 4: The JSONSetElement JSON Data Types
- Part 5: Back to Creating and Editing JSON Data
- Part 6: Advanced JSON: Arrays
- Part 7: JSON Script Parameter Examples
- Part 8: Web APIs – Matching Your Data to Someone Else’s JSON
- Bonus Part 9: Execute FileMaker Data API
This video is also available in the Claris Academy under the “Relive Engage” tab.
Recommended Reading: don’t miss the JSON article Shawn wrote when the JSON functions first came out.
If you have any questions about building custom applications with FileMaker, LuminFire can help.