Today is the release of FileMaker 16 with many welcome new features. We’ve had a chance to preview the software and we’re very excited about all the new changes and many that we’ve been waiting for with anticipation for a long time.
First, here is a summary of FileMaker 16 new features as described by FileMaker:
- Mobility: Animations and transitions, enhanced signature capture, region-monitoring script. custom paper sizes
- Development: Layout Objects windows, cards, PDF support in FileMaker Server and WebDirect, new UI on Windows OS, copy/paste value lists, variables in FileMaker data source references, enhanced Data Viewer
- Integration: Enhanced cURL options, JSON functions, FileMaker Data API trial, Tableau Web Data Connector for FileMaker, external script steps
- Security: OAuth 2.0 support for accounts, clickable security lock icons, field-level text encryption
- Scalability: FileMaker WebDirect up to 500 users
As we see it at LuminFire, here are some of the biggest wins in FileMaker 16:
- For Windows users…FileMaker 16 makes it possible to really use multiple windows!
- Native integration ability with JSON and cURL support making it possible to more easily connect FileMaker to other applications
- New print/PDF engine that works on WebDirect
- Security enhancements to keep FileMaker data well protected
- iOS mobile enhancements to give FileMaker Go more capabilities on the iPhone or iPad
- Layout objects window so a developer can more easily access and edit any item on a layout
- WebDirect scalability up to 500 users
- New Plugin architecture allows adding script steps and use on FileMaker Go
- FileMaker Data API (trial) – The future of connecting to FileMaker from the outside world
We are going to have a series of blog posts detailing many of the new features of FileMaker 16 in the next few weeks so stay tuned to this channel! If you can’t wait and want to get started right away, we’ve consolidated some of the best resources (articles, white papers, and videos) from around the interwebs regarding FileMaker 16 right here.
Over the next few months we will be upgrading our clients to FileMaker 16, including clients and servers as we test each solution carefully for compatibility. Although there is not a native file format change with FileMaker 16, our recommendations are to test your apps where there are a lot of changes…especially on the Windows platform and with printing, since the entire print engine was rewritten in this version. Once you verify that your app works better than ever with FileMaker 16, or you make any changes necessary to make sure it does, then you can plan your upgrade. Waiting a month or two will also allow time for any quick bug fixes to be released.
We look forward to seeing many of you at DevCon this year in Phoenix. Our team will be there to answer any of your questions about FileMaker 16 at our booth as well as demonstrate exciting new ways to connect FileMaker to other apps at our Brilliant FileMaker Integration Solutions session on Wednesday, July 26 at 9 am in the Grand Canyon 4 room.
FileMaker 16 Resources
First, check out the Scoop.it FileMaker News for the latest updated articles on FileMaker.
- FileMaker 16 Product page
- FileMaker 16 What’s New
- FileMaker Roadmap (Community login required)
- ISO FileMaker Magazine FileMaker 16 New Features Video Overview – Matt Petrowsky (via YouTube)
- FileMaker 16 Security Details from Steven Blackwell and Wim Decorte – Introduction To The Significant New Security Features In FileMaker Platform Version 16 and Federated Identity Management OAuth Identity Providers in FileMaker 16.
- Todd Geist Biggest Change Since FileMaker 7 and FileMaker 16 Data API and oAuth
- iSolutions FileMaker 16 Platform Videos
- Soliant Consulting FileMaker 16 is Here
Executive Summary – Summary of Soliant’s Top 3 List: Card windows, Layout Object Inspector Palette, and Added JSON support
Layout Objects Inspector
SortValues and UniqueValues functions
- SeedCode post on JSON for Script Parameters
- Richard Carlton Consulting Top 10 FileMaker 16 New Features video
- Skeleton Key FileMaker 16 blogs
- FileMakerHacks FileMaker 16 Windowing
- DB Services FileMaker 16 Overview
Summary of RCC’s FileMaker 16 Top 10 New Features:
- No need to convert old files as FileMaker 16 still uses .fmp12 file format
- Windows version FileMaker 16 in no longer constrained to one Window
- The layout object window – Find any object on a layout no matter where it is buried or hidden
- PDF generation from FileMaker Server for WebDirect and Go users
- Card Style Windows
- Data Viewer live interaction as you change your formula
- Variables can be targets for insert script steps and as source for external data source
- REST API connectivity – Allow your database interact with other services
- OAuth authorization from Google, Amazon Web Services, and Azure
- Improvements to FileMaker Go: Signature Handling, Layout transitions and animations, iBeacon/Geofence support, AV player support
General FileMaker 16 announcement posts…