The news of coronavirus is everywhere, and recommendations to self-isolate in order to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus are prevalent. So how do you keep your employees productive if they aren’t able to be in the office?
Now is a great time to get the right technology in place to prepare your team to work with maximum efficiency from remote locations. Your team will likely need remote access to servers and desktop computers.
How We Can Help
LuminFire is ready to help and assist your team with the setup of effective remote access resources during this time. For example:
- Setup backups for your remote workstations and computers.
- Set up remote collaboration tools such as Slack or Google’s G Suite as well as integration with these tools with your FileMaker solution with fmFlare.
- Setup and configure a VPN to make your LAN network available remotely.
- Setup remote meeting software like Zoom, Amazon Chime, or GoToMeeting.
- Select, purchase, and configure laptop computers.
- Setup remote cloud-based or on-premise access for your FileMaker Server access.
- Install system security software.
Be Aware of Potential Scams
With more people working from home, we are seeing an increase of malware instances…up to 10 times that in the past. This is due to the use of home computers and networks that do not have proper security. Now is a great time to educate your employees on general internet security so they can assist in preventing malware and phishing attempts. We have training software available. We also can assist with installing anti-virus/malware software to prevent and alert against these cyber attacks.
Scammers and cyber-criminals may try to take advantage of your concerns related to COVID-19. They may offer fake products, medical advice, create fake charities, or compel you to click a fraudulent link to gain access to your device. The Federal Trade Commission has info about how you can avoid a scam.
In addition, network bandwidth in residential communities is being used and slowing down access to remote servers overall. We can speed this up through the use of FileMaker Apps On Demand (AOD) access.
For the best up-to-date information about how to prevent the coronavirus from spreading, please refer to the CDC. We’ve summarized some general tips below:
- The coronavirus COVID-19 is more deadly than the common flu. Be especially careful for anyone over the age of 60+ with more vulnerable immunity systems.
- Wash your hands more than normal. Hand sanitizer and bleach kill it. Vinegar does not.
- Sanitize common surfaces – the virus has a “touch an infected surface/ touch yourself” transmission path.
- Stay home if you’re sick.
- Wear a mask if you’re sick and need to leave the house to seek medical care.
- Stock up on essentials but don’t go full doomsday prepping.
- Buy refundable tickets if planning to travel.
- Assume you could be stuck somewhere you’ve traveled, or will need to self quarantine for 2-3 weeks upon returning.
Be encouraged. We will get through this together.