Updated 7-30-18 for FileMaker 17…
Question: I’m interested in increasing my capabilities with FileMaker. Is the FileMaker Training Series (FTS) book a good option?
Answer: It depends…
When you purchase FileMaker you get a blank slate construction tool for rapidly building powerful custom application solutions. There are some built-in template files that are included but they are quite basic and may require work to make them work specific for your work situation. It’s kind of like purchasing a spreadsheet tool like Excel. Excel doesn’t come with the actual spreadsheets that will really make it truly useful and take full advantage of its capabilities. You need to design them yourself for your situation.
Every FileMaker database is different. Depending on who developed it for you, the skill level of the developer, and what kind of standards or best practices they used to develop the solution. Learning how to use the solution that was built for you by someone (or you built yourself) is very different than learning how to be a developer and create your own solutions.
The FileMaker Training Series has two versions…FTS Basics (Free) and FTS Advanced. These resources will not be updated for FileMaker 16 or later. FileMaker will be focusing the future on video training and other options. The series is great for learning the ins and outs of developing a database with FileMaker. It goes into a lot of depth. FileMaker says “The FileMaker Training Series is targeted at intermediate to advanced FileMaker developers, but anyone that creates databases can increase their knowledge from these time-tested materials.” We use it ourselves to review information when we’ve taken the FileMaker Certification exam to become a certified developer. The FTS for FileMaker 15 is now available for FREE via this link.
So, depending on what you want to do with FileMaker, it could help you.
- Do you want to learn how to better use an existing FileMaker solution that you already have? If so, the FTS won’t help much.
- Do you want to develop your own databases or enhance an existing database at a developer level? If so, the FTS will give you the background you need to know about FileMaker.
- Are you a person that will learn well from reading a book and working through it on your own? If so, FTS (without a classroom setting) may be a great option for you.
After acquiring basic FileMaker knowledge, we’ve found many people get more value out of individual coaching/learning sessions with us where we take a given task or something you’re trying to do in FileMaker and build a solution together while you learn. We combine best practices with the training to get you started quickly. Keep your eye on our curated FileMaker News area for updated tips and tricks from all over the internet.
We highly recommend that you learn FileMaker beginning with the latest version available.
FileMaker 17 released May 2018
FileMaker 16 released May 2017:
FileMaker 15 released May 2016:
- FileMaker 15 introduction – LuminFire
- FileMaker Pro Essential Training by Cris Ippolite
- FileMaker 15 Training Series (FTS)
- FileMaker Pro Basics by Guy Stevens free online video
- Learning FileMaker Subscription – Richard Carlton Consulting
Here are several other FileMaker training resources and ideas you may find helpful:
- FileMaker Developer Subscription/TechNet – For $99/year get access to discussion boards, etc.
- FileMaker Webinars – Online training at no cost on many FileMaker topics.
- Free library of FileMaker Pro Custom Functions – Hosted by Brian Dunning and including several functions contributed by LuminFire (formerly Cimbura.com).
- FileMaker DevCon – The annual FileMaker developer conference with over 1,500 attendees from all over the world.
- FileMaker Software – Get a 30 day trial version for FREE.
- Reference for FileMaker on iPad
For reference, here are some resources on older versions of FileMaker.
FileMaker 14 released May 2015:
- FileMaker 14 introduction – LuminFire
FileMaker 13 released December 2013:
- FileMaker 13 Training Series – The standard in FileMaker training. With the release of FileMaker 13 there is now a FREE FileMaker Basics option available as a downloadable PDF…with the rest of the information covered in the Advanced course.
- Lynda.com FileMaker 13 New Features by Cris Ippolite
- FileMaker Pro 13 The Missing Manual by Stuart Gripman and Susan Prosser
- FileMaker Pro 13 Absolute Beginner’s Guide by Tim Dietrich
FileMaker 12 released April 2012:
- FileMaker 12 Training Series Includes video demonstrations and sample files on the DVD $39.99. The electronic download version is included in the cost of a developer subscription or for $19.99.
- Lynda.com FileMaker 12 Essential Training by Cris Ippolite
- FileMaker Pro 12: The Missing Manual
- FileMaker Academy – 12 Free hours of webinars to help you learn FileMaker 12 new features
- InfiniteSkills Learning FileMaker 12 tutorials by Ray Cologan
- Video Training Company VTC QuickStart! – FileMaker Go 12 Tutorials by Richard Carlton
- Video Training Company VTC FileMaker Pro 12: Beginner Tutorials by John Mark Osborne
- Video Training Company VTC FileMaker 12 Server by Wim Decorte
If you are working with an existing solution in FileMaker version 5-11, you need to learn about the older version and safely upgrade only after making good backups of your existing database and environment. We suggest having a professional assist with an upgrade to the latest version.
- FileMaker Pro 11: The Missing Manual by Susan Prosser and Stuart Gripman
- Lynda.com FileMaker 11 Essential Training online training by Cris Ippolite. (FileMaker Pro 11 Essential Training on DVD)
- Video Training Company VTC FileMaker 11 by John Mark Osborne (46 hours)
Also published on Medium.