Updated 7-15-23 for FileMaker 2023…
When you purchase FileMaker you get a blank slate construction tool for rapidly building powerful custom application solutions. There are some built-in template files that are included but they are quite basic and may require work to make them work specific for your work situation. It’s kind of like purchasing a spreadsheet tool like Excel. Excel doesn’t come with the actual spreadsheets that will really make it truly useful and take full advantage of its capabilities. You need to design them yourself for your situation.
Every FileMaker solution is different. Depending on who developed it for you, the skill level of the developer, and what kind of standards or best practices they used to develop the solution. Learning how to use the solution that was built for you by someone (or you built yourself) is very different than learning how to be a developer and create your own solutions.
So, depending on what you want to do with FileMaker will determine your path…
- Do you want to learn how to better use an existing FileMaker solution that you already have? If so, the training won’t help much.
- Do you want to develop your own application solution or enhance an existing solution at a developer level? If so, training will give you the background you need to know about FileMaker.
After acquiring basic FileMaker knowledge, we’ve found many people get more value out of individual coaching/learning sessions with us where we take a given task or something you’re trying to do in FileMaker and build a solution together while you learn. We combine best practices with the training to get you started quickly.
We highly recommend that you learn FileMaker beginning with the latest version available. FileMaker 2023 was released May 2023
Here are several other FileMaker training resources and ideas you may find helpful:
- FileMaker Webinars – Online training at no cost on many FileMaker topics.
- Free library of FileMaker Pro Custom Functions – Hosted by Brian Dunning and including several functions contributed by LuminFire.
- Claris Engage – The annual FileMaker developer conference.
- FileMaker Software – Get a 30 day trial version for FREE.
For reference, here are some resources on older versions of FileMaker.
FileMaker 19 released May 2020 – FileMaker 19 is Here
FileMaker 18 released May 2019 – FileMaker 18 is Here! – The Full Scoop
FileMaker 17 released May 2018 – FileMaker 17 is Here Info!
FileMaker 16 released May 2017 – FileMaker 16 Training Resources
FileMaker 15 released May 2016:
- FileMaker 15 introduction – LuminFire
- FileMaker Pro Essential Training by Cris Ippolite
- FileMaker 15 Training Series (FTS)
- FileMaker Pro Basics by Guy Stevens free online video
- Learning FileMaker Subscription – Richard Carlton Consulting
FileMaker 14 released May 2015:
- FileMaker 14 introduction – LuminFire
FileMaker 13 released December 2013:
- FileMaker 13 Training Series – The standard in FileMaker training. With the release of FileMaker 13 there is now a FREE FileMaker Basics option available as a downloadable PDF…with the rest of the information covered in the Advanced course.
- Lynda.com FileMaker 13 New Features by Cris Ippolite
- FileMaker Pro 13 The Missing Manual by Stuart Gripman and Susan Prosser
- FileMaker Pro 13 Absolute Beginner’s Guide by Tim Dietrich
FileMaker 12 released April 2012:
- FileMaker 12 Training Series Includes video demonstrations and sample files on the DVD $39.99. The electronic download version is included in the cost of a developer subscription or for $19.99.
- Lynda.com FileMaker 12 Essential Training by Cris Ippolite
- FileMaker Pro 12: The Missing Manual
- FileMaker Academy – 12 Free hours of webinars to help you learn FileMaker 12 new features
- InfiniteSkills Learning FileMaker 12 tutorials by Ray Cologan
- Video Training Company VTC QuickStart! – FileMaker Go 12 Tutorials by Richard Carlton
- Video Training Company VTC FileMaker Pro 12: Beginner Tutorials by John Mark Osborne
- Video Training Company VTC FileMaker 12 Server by Wim Decorte
If you are working with an existing solution in FileMaker version 5-11, you need to learn about the older version and safely upgrade only after making good backups of your existing database and environment. We suggest having a professional assist with an upgrade to the latest version.